I bake for fun. Usually. But, I cook out of necessity. Usually.
If I didn’t have kids, I’m pretty sure I could subsist on peanut butter and Nutella sandwiches. So, when I find a great, easy recipe, I love to share it. (Also, it makes it easier for me to find it later if I’ve already posted it.)
So, as much for myself as for you, here is a delicious, simple recipe for stir-fry sauce that I adapted from fortysomething.ca. I like mine with chicken or beef and, on the side, either rice or rice vermicelli noodles.
Simply Delicious Chicken Stir-Fry
(This recipe makes A LOT of sauce so, depending on your level of sauciness, you can either use it all or half and store the rest. I imagine the sauce would freeze well. Also, ‘simple’ does not necessarily mean ‘quick’, but if you prep your veggies ahead of time you will save a lot of time. Alternatively, you can use a frozen ‘stir-fry veggie mix.)
4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced into strips or bite-sized pieces, depending on your preference (for a quicker version, use pre-sliced cooked & frozen chicken)
(I made this with beef tenderloin strips as well and it is just as good.)
2-4 cups of your favorite stir fry veggies, sliced (peppers, onions, broccoli, snap peas, carrots, bok choi…)
2-4 tablespoons cooking oil
Mix together and set aside:
2/3 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup rice wine or rice vinegar
3-4 tsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. sesame oil
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 Tbsp. minced ginger
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons oil on medium-high heat in a large skillet or wok. This is also a good time to start working on your rice or noodles.
- Working in batches, add the chicken pieces and cook through, about 3 mins per side.
- Remove chicken and let drain on a paper towel-covered plate.
- Next, and adding a little more oil as necessary, sautée vegetables about 5 minutes, leaving any leafy greens until the end to avoid wilting. Covering the pan helps to steam them a little faster.
- Once veggies are tender-crisp, add sauce and chicken and heat through.
- Serve immediately with rice or noodles and enjoy.